Fig. 3—Sector Shaft End-Play Adjustment
2. Turn the adjusting screw '"D" down tight,
and then back it off until it
is free. Then turn the adjusting screw until it lightly contacts
the end of the sector
3. Hold the adjusting screw in this position
with a screw driver and
tighten the lock nut "C" securely.
To Remove Back-Lash Between
Worm and Sector Roller
1. Locate the steering gear in the
straight-ahead position. This
can be done by turning the steering wheel as far as possible in one
direction. Then turn it as far
as possible in the opposite direction, counting the turns. By turning
the wheel back half the number of turns, the steering gear will be in the straight-ahead
position. Move the sector shaft back and forth to determine the amount of back-lash between the
2. Loosen the three cover to housing bolts 1/4
turn, "E," Fig. 4, and the
eccentric bolt locknut 1/2 turn, "J," Fig. 4.
3. With one wrench on the eccentric bolt, "F,"
Fig. 5, and another on the
eccentric sleeve "G," turn in
opposite directions by gradual stages,