Fig. 53—Truck Intermediate Universal Joint
opening is sealed by a cork
packing contained in a retainer cap
which screws on the end of the yoke, Fig. 58.
Propeller Shaft Disassembly
1. Remove the nuts from the trunnion bearing
"U" clamps and remove the
clamps. (This may be done at
either or both the transmission end and/or the rear axle end depending
upon the amount of disassembly
2. Unscrew the oil seal retainer from the rear
yoke of the intermediate, or
center, universal joint.
3. Remove the rear propeller shaft from the
front propeller shaft by
slipping it out of the universal joint splines.
4. Split the front universal joint at the
transmission end of the
front propeller shaft.
5. Remove the two bolts which mount the
joint support bracket to the frame cross member.
6. Disconnect the intermediate universal joint
by removing the two trunnion
bearing "U" clamps.
NOTE—To hold the trunnion
bearings in place as well as to prevent dirt entering and save time in
reassembling, leave the bearings in the trunnion and tape them in
7. Clamp one side of the front yoke of the
intermediate universal in a bench vise and remove the retaining nut with a 1-1/2"
8. Using a soft hammer for the purpose, tap the
yoke from the propeller
9. Wet the rubber cushion located in the
support bracket with water to
soften the soap used on the
rubber when assembled. Mount the support bracket in a bench
vise and move the propeller shaft
from side to side to work the rubber cushion out of the
10. After the support bracket
has been removed